Here are 5 quick tips to make sure you keep your garbage disposal in tip top shape.
- Run cold water every time you operate your garbage disposal.
– Not only does this aid in the actual disposal of waste but it also prevents overheating.
- Every so often, while the disposal is running, throw in a few ice cubes.
– This will remove waste buildup.
- Some things are better left in the trash and not the sink.
– Certain foods can cause serious damage to your garbage disposal. Rather than throwing them down the drain, you should
throw them in the trash. Things like:
* Coffee grounds
* Potato/carrot peels
* Egg shells
* Cooking grease
- After use, once the grinding noise stops, let your garbage disposal run for five more seconds.
– This prevents the blades from stopping prematurely and ensures that the waste will be properly disposed of.
- At least once a week, toss in a lemon peel or an orange peel and run your garbage disposal for at least 10 seconds.
– This will get rid of any lingering odors and give your sink a fresh citrus scent!